[ih] The Sub-atomic Physics of The Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Sep 1 13:00:38 PDT 2020

Hi Bob,

The key is what you said - "one gets to be on as many planets as one
wants at the same time".   That's analogous to the situation that
existed before ARPANET.  The folks at ARPA could work at a terminal
connected to one of their "planets" (computer somewhere), and they could
have as many terminals as they could fit in the office.  But it was very
tedious to work that way, e.g., to send some message to several of their
"planets", they had to type it in to every terminal.

The ARPANET, and email, fixed that problem.  For a while, pretty much
everyone you interacted with was "on the net" and easy to interact with.

Today, that's no longer true.  Some people use email, some use Facebook,
or Instagram, etc.  Some do multiple "connections" at the same time.
But there's again no reasonable way (that I've found) to interact
simultaneously with several people on different planets.  It's a little
easier now, doing cut-and-paste rather than retyping on a different
terminal, but not all that different from the pre-ARPANET era.

That's why I coined the term "SocialNet" - an "internet" providing
connectivity at the social level.

/Jack