[ih] Statistical Multiplexing

Lawrence Stewart stewart at serissa.com
Mon Mar 16 10:58:10 PDT 2020

The earliest work I know about was indeed from Bell Laboratories: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-assignment_speech_interpolation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-assignment_speech_interpolation>.  This may be what Chu was referring to.

Time assignment speech interpolation (TASI) was a statistical multiplexing technique to increase channel capacity of expensive (overseas) cables.

Evidently the first TASI links were in service in mid-1960.

The semi-official record seems to be https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6773473 <https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6773473>

I remember learning about this while doing Ethernet voice at PARC circa 1979.