[ih] NCP and TCP implementations

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 10:43:22 PDT 2020

 Bernie et al,
I am quite sure that the C/70 never ran the IMP code.
The MBB was probably funded by ARPA and its development was (I think) recorded in BBN QTRs to ARPA and definitely in other BBN Technical Reports.  But I think the C/70 was a BBN internal (self funded) project and (I think) was not in QTRs.  I do think there was at least one technical paper about the C/70 given at a conference but I can't find any reference, so perhaps not.
Alex

    On Monday, March 16, 2020, 1:28:21 PM EDT, Bernie Cosell via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

 On 16 Mar 2020 at 12:31, Noel Chiappa via Internet-history wrote:

> Anyway, on to what I wanted to comment on:
>

>    > From: Geoff Goodfellow
>
>    > for some reason when the C/70's came along, TIP's were renamed to
> TAC's
>
> IIRC, the C/70's were timesharing machines (running Unix, IITC); the
> C/
> machines which were packet switches (IMPs), terminal concentators (TACs)
> etc
> were C/30's. I note from the host tables that the TIP's all seem to have
> been
> H316's, and all TAC's were C/30's.

You're correct.  The TIP was a 316 IMP with the terminal handling code in the
upper 16K of memory.  The C/30 was an implementation of the 316 on the MBB
[Microprogrammable Building Block] that BBN had developed.  I have no idea
about why it was "/30".  The MBB was "microprogrammable" and so we built the
C/70 -- it was called the "C machine" and the idea what that "C" was its assembly
language.  I have no idea how that project got started but three of us were
working on it: Al Nemeth was hacking the Unix kernel,  Carl Howe did the
microcode and I did a crosscompiler from TENEX to the MBB.

I think it was tagged the "C/70" because it was intended to run Unix as well as an
11/70 [in practice it worked out to be MUCH faster].  the MBB had 20 bit words
and Al and Carl were designing a hand-tuned, irregular "instruction set".  Such
things as a built-in indirect index: he figured out the optimal size of the offset
field so that referencing part of a 'struct' through a pointer could be done in a
single instruction not using a register.

There was *NO* regularity to the "instruction set" -- each instruction carved up
the 20 available bits as seemed most efficient.  We added new/strange
instructions as we saw fit [e.g.,: Al noticed that almost all subroutine calls in the
kernel were either zero or one argument calls, and so we had two call
instructions: the normal one [push push push <call>] and one that *always*
pushed ONE arg and called in a single instruction.  I had the fun task of putting
together a C cross compiler running on a 36 bit machine for a 20-bit-word
machine to handle all that irregularity.

We eventually got the kernel working [with the underlying "instruction set"
constantly evolving as Al looked at the code the compiler was producing and
figuring ways to tweak things to make it faster.  Carl and I mostly kept up.  The
big day [for me, at least] was when I ported the C compiler I"d been working on
to run natively on the MBB [which involved taking out the 36-bit-ness and
replacing it with 20-bit-ness].  The Unix kernel compiled on the MBB  and was
bit-for-bit the same as the image produced on TENEX and we cut the strings to
TENEX and it was now running solo.  That was pretty much when i left the
project:  I have no idea [at least no memory] what happened after that [some of
you might have guessed that I was a bit of a vagabond jack-of-all-trades at BBN: I
worked on one project or another, got it working and "released" and then I went
onto the next thing].  I don't remember what *we* called it, but shortly after we
got it all working it went over to BBNCC and was marketed as the "C/70"

I don't remember its ever running the IMP code.  Alex/Dave: was any of the
development of the C70 written up?  I wasn't much on writing reports :o)

  /Bernie\

            Bernie Cosell
      bernie at fantasyfarm.com
-- Too many people; too few sheep --