[ih] NCP and TCP implementations

Jacob Goense dugo at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 10 15:04:48 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-10 13:42, Noel Chiappa via Internet-history wrote:
>> From: vinton cerf
>
>     > Steve Kirsch asks in what languages NCP and TCP were written.
>
>     > Another version was written for PDP-11/23 by Jim Mathis but not
> clear in
>     > what language.
>
> That TCP was in Macro-11; the source for that one still exists in
> machine-readable form, but is not yet openly available online. Oh, and
> it
> would run on any -11, not just the /23.
>
>     > Tenex was probably done in C at BBN.
>
> BBN did two different PDP-11 TCPs for Unix (early on; later they did
> one for
> VAX Unix); one was in Macro-11, and is not available (but Jack Haverty
> might
> have it in hard-copy); one was in C, and is available here:

David L. Mills did what became the Fuzzball on the LSI-11. In its final
form,
at the time of the first NSFNET backbone, it was written in MACRO-11
with RT-11
as development environment and bootstrap.

A nice language detail to mention from a Q1 1980 COMSAT Quarterly Report
on
SATNET participation.

     The DCN supports user processes which can run the RT-11
     system and user programs. Insofar as practical, the internet
     interfaces to these processes have been cast in a manner com-
     patible with the RT-I1 programming conventions, so that appli-
     cation programs can be constructed in high-level languages such
     as FORTRAN.