[ih] NCP, TCP/IP question

Dan Lynch dan at lynch.com
Tue Mar 10 15:01:11 PDT 2020

It was a slightly confusing time in the early 80s with the DEC machine situation. The virtual machine design was initiated by BBN and their paging box that brought the Tenex operating system into existence in the early 70s. That was on KA machines. Then DEC brought out the KI machine with similar but not identical features in the mid 70s. Then DEC brought out the KL machines In the late 70s. Tenex was ported to those machines by non DEC people.  Somewhere DEC got wise and bought the rights to something and came out with Tops20, a very decent clone of Tenex with a superior file system. Meanwhile TCP/IP was floating about and needing to be ported to all those systems so those of us who had responsibilities to DARPA had to keep source licenses to Tops20 so we could keep developing TCP/IP because it was inside the OS. Everyone played nice. Charlie Lynn was the BBN guy who had inherited it on their side. He was young and bright. I was in charge of the machines at ISI in Marina del Rey, then the largest node on the Arpanet. I had a collection of 6  DEC machines of various vintages and a team of systems programmers to keep the humming and changing almost every day in the final months before Flag Day of New Year’s Day, 1983. Plus we were feeding all the fixes to DEC to help them keep their commercial products up to date. All the while delivering services to 3,000 online customers around the world and a hundred researchers in the building including Jon Postel, Danny Cohen and Paul Mockapetris who were my go to brain trust on a daily basis. It was an exciting time.

Dan

Cell 650-776-7313