[ih] NCP, TCP/IP question

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Tue Mar 10 12:33:43 PDT 2020

let's also not forget the late MAP, i.e. Mike Padlipsky
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_A._Padlipsky>, EXCERPT:

... *Internetworking*

Full participation in Arpanet technical discussions required current
programming assignments on Arpanet. Mike summarized his own internetworking
experience as follows: [4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_A._Padlipsky#cite_note-4>

Therefore, to combat that sort of brain surgery by transmission mechanics,
I feel I should present my credentials. ... So, aside from having coined
the term "Old Network Boy" — and being one — and indeed probably being the
only person in the world who knew, worked with, and was even on friendly
terms with Vint Cerf <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vint_Cerf>, Jon Postel
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Postel>, and Dave Clark
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Clark> before they got their
respective doctorates, I was an active participant in the design of the
ARPANET "Old" and "New" Telnet <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet>
protocols,
the File Transfer Protocol
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol>, and the first
Graphics Protocol; I was the originator and a principal designer of
"neted," a common editor command for the ARPANET; and I was the originator
and a principal designer of the first Host-Front-End Protocol, not only for
the ARPANET. I also implemented "Old" Telnet for Multics, did the
integration and checkout of NCP and Telnet on 645 Multics — setting the
one-month record for Development Machine Time in the process — and later
served as the Multics Network Technical Liaison and Network and Graphics
Group Leader, supervising the attachment of 6180 Multics to the ARPANET in
the process. In recent years, I've tried to help the Government get some of
its money's worth from contractors on any number of networks too depressing
to mention both for the —————* [Name withheld to avoid the necessity of
Corporate Review][5]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_A._Padlipsky#cite_note-5> Corporation,
which now [Ed. 1983] employs me, and for the DoD's Protocol Standards
Technical Panel.[6]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_A._Padlipsky#cite_note-6>

While a member of the NWG, Mike wrote 20 RFCs...

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 9:24 AM Barbara Denny via Internet-history <