[ih] NCP and TCP implementations

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Tue Mar 10 11:46:17 PDT 2020

Ah.  And other memories are slowly coming back.  In 1981 I joined The
Aerospace Corporation to establish a computer science research lab.  There
was an IMP at the Air Force operation across the street, and I arranged to
get our lab attached to it.  When it came time to register our host name, I
used "Aerospace" as the long name but I was challenged to find a good short
name.  The official name of the corporation was "The Aerospace Corporation"
and it was not uncommon to see "TAC" used internally.  But that would have
caused massive confusion.

What actually happened was even more interested.  I decided to register
just the letter A.  It took Carnegie-Mellon University off the net.  They
had several hosts, CMU-A, CMU-B, etc, and the were using single letters
internally as abbreviations.  Their A machine was the gateway to the
Arpanet.  In short order, single letter host names were prohibited from the
host table.

Steve