[ih] NCP and TCP implementations

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Tue Mar 10 11:33:28 PDT 2020

let's not forget/what about the MTIP's?  i.e. the Terminal Interface
Processors with a Magnetic Tape unit attached...

recalling there was one at GWC and also perhaps another one at Norsar --
further recalling that they were used to "ship" data (from a magtape) to a
"host" somewhere else on the ARPANET.

how dose yours truly "remember" this?  cuz in the Tenex host table
<SYSTEM>HOST-NAME/DESCRIPTOR-FILE.TXT
there were several host "classification" types to "describe" what a given
hosts capabilities entailed: USER, SERVER, TIP, MTIP so that when you went
into a program such as telnet, it would "politely ignore" the USER
defined/declared host names and only recognize the SERVER hosts names... as
USER hosts only did/supported outgoing connections to SERVER hosts. :D

geoff

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 8:07 AM Steve Crocker via Internet-history <