[ih] evil umpire?

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Sun Mar 1 09:35:04 PST 2020

Miles Fidelman via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
writes:

> Who was it who's USENET sig line referred to the "evil umpire," and
> what was the exact line?  (My Google Foo doesn't seem to be working
> today, or it happened too long ago to be indexed.)

I don't know if it's the one you're thinking of, but Glen Raphael
<c160-ax at zooey.Berkeley.EDU> used this sig in 1986:

| "Through the intervening years, this ex-American baseball player who
| defected to the Soviet Union rose through the ranks to his current
| position as the single, driving force behind all Soviet foreign policy
| decisions.  It is he to whom Reagan refers as 'The Evil Umpire' "

(I found this in the utzoo archive, which is available on archive.org;
I keep a local copy indexed with notmuch for searching.)

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>