[ih] Dave Farber's DCS

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Wed Jul 22 17:48:44 PDT 2020

Would also be interested if there was some more info on DCS.
I am sure that basic communications primitives for distributed
apps have been reinvented over an over similarily, but never
tried to figure out their history. Just reminded me of a
recent attempt to standardize them on the basis of discovery,
synchronization and negotiation.

Bidding based distributed applications have of course been used in the
Internet industry much longer than what you see now. This round is just about
use in "public" services. If you think instead of even 15 year or older
large scale web applications implementations, they too worked on that scheme. E.g:
rendering of a web page would be be done by a collector putting
out bits for all the different parts of that web page, and or each part
there would have been hundreds of nodes with the capability to perform
the job and based on their load one would be selected to actually do it.

And of course all this web stuff from the last 20 years was also based
on distributed system designs from the decades in before. I remember
CORBA as one of the IMHO (in)famous frameworks that i saw as late as
the 2000'th but which i think attempted to wrap up those distributed
communication paradigm designs into an OO architecture, when OO was
still going up the hype curve (1991).