[ih] Historical Tracing from Concept to Reality over 5 decades?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Jul 22 16:06:56 PDT 2020

On 7/6/20 12:25 PM, Steve Crocker via Internet-history wrote:

> ... From mid 1971 to mid 194 I oversaw the
> first few years of the Speech Understanding Program.
During some of that period I ran some of the computers (PDP-11/45,
PDP-11/79s) that were used by SDC's continuous speech recognition
program.  I remember Iris Kameny (sp) and Billy Breckenridge and one
other person who had the most gawd-awful cigar-stunk sofa in his office.
  He did a lot of the stuff with "Crisp" on one of our 360 or 370
mainframes.

Billy Breckenridge and I took over the soundproof room (designed by Lee
Moho who I believe did a lot of work with our ACC "Santa Barbara Box",
an IMP-IBM channel interface) as our out-of-sight (and sound) office
(because we could control the thermostat and play our music really loud.)

Our system was used as a prop in some silly movie with Peter Graves
searching for Yeti.

	--karl--