[ih] Historical Tracing from Concept to Reality over 5 decades?

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Mon Jul 6 12:43:40 PDT 2020

hopefully "the evolution of technical ideas from concept to widespread use"
can include a "notion" of yours truly recalls Bob Kahn spoke about at a
conference presentation sometime in the 70's (or perhaps early 80's) on the
ARPANET:

Bob Kahn said something along the lines that email on the ARPANET was
something that was not planned but kinda "evolved" by "accident" -- i.e.
was not something that was a part of the conception/technical idea in the
inception/purpose of the creation/need for the ARPANET.

the creation of ARPANET kinda, thus, became/was an agar laden petri dish
that "grew" a "culture" of/for which things -- such as email -- evolved in
the result of which was email sprouting into widespread use...

geoff

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 8:51 AM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <