[ih] Historical Tracing from Concept to Reality over 5 decades?

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Tue Jul 14 13:37:50 PDT 2020

vis-a-vis:

One likely reason that Lick's vision doesn't explicitly contain
"electronic mail" is a political one.  When we were building that
system, I remember Lick (and Al Vezza) emphasizing that we were *not*
building an electronic mail system.  We called it "messaging", and used
terms like "communique" rather than "mail".

The reason for this was simple.  "Mail" in the US was officially and
legally the exclusive responsibility of the US Postal System.   No one
was allowed to compete with the USPS.  I believe Lick was acutely aware
of this issue because of his roles at both MIT and ARPA.   *The concern*
* was that someone might view an ARPANET "electronic mail" effort as an*
* attack on the USPS, and that might cause Congress to cut ARPA funding*
* for network research.*

recalling how the same "sensitivity" seemed to be true with respect to the
word "BYPASS" and "*The Phone Company"* in the early 90's with respect to
of final paragraph of:

*BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY; E-mail Is Becoming A Cheap-Fax Network*
By John Markoff
July 21, 1993
https://www.nytimes.com/1993/07/21/business/business-technology-e-mail-is-becoming-a-cheap-fax-network.html

The dividing line between paper facsimile documents and electronic mail is
vanishing.

Thanks to the volunteer efforts of a group of computer network designers,
the network of networks known as Internet now permits users to send an
e-mail message to be printed out on fax machines at a growing number of
sites around the world.

Because transmission charges on the Internet are minimal compared with
those of the long-distance phone calls normally used for faxes, the system
is a cheap way to send faxes across the country or around the world.

To use the system, begun this month as an experiment in remote printing,
computer mail users include a fax telephone number in the address portion
of their message. The message, which may include both text and graphics,
will then be automatically routed to a site that has agreed to serve a
local geographic "cell" for delivery of the fax message.

So far, participating regions include all of Japan, Australia, the
Netherlands and Ireland, and in the United States, metropolitan Washington,
Silicon Valley and parts of the San Francisco Bay area, as well as other
pockets of the country.

Leading the project is Marshall T. Rose, a computer communications
consultant at Dover Beach Consulting in Mountain View, Calif. He has worked
with another Internet researcher, Carl Malamud, who has created Internet
Talk Radio, a weekly commercial audio program that is distributed
internationally and can be played on computer work stations.

The fax cell sites are computers on the Internet that are also connected to
inexpensive computer-controlled fax modems that can route the files to
virtually any fax machine.

Each site can designate the size of the area that it will serve -- whether
an entire city or just the fax machines within a particular company.

So far, in keeping with the utopianism that still permeates Internet
culture, none of the fax middlemen and -women are charging for their
services.

Mr. Rose noted that the blurring of fax and electronic mail would raise
thorny questions.

*"Is this global and local bypass of the telephone companies using the
Internet?" he asked rhetorically. "Is this legal? We need to think about
this."*

and also recalling this was happening "in the back/underground" with
respect to the UUCP 't' and 'e' protocols which BYPASSED the PSTN and used
The Net instead, viz. excerpting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP:

*t-protocol* originated in the BSD versions of UUCP and is designed to run
over TCP/IP <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP> links. It has no error
correction at all, and the protocol consists simply of breaking up command
and file data into 512 or 1024-byte packets to easily fit within typical
TCP frames. The less-used *e-protocol*, which originated the HoneyDanBer
versions as opposed to t from BSD, differs only in that commands are not
packetized and sent as normal strings, while files are padded to the
nearest 20 bytes.

and the same for NNTP, excerpting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_News_Transfer_Protocol:

The *Network News Transfer Protocol* (*NNTP*) is an application protocol
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_(computing)> used for transporting
Usenet <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet> news articles (*netnews*)
*between *news servers <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_server> and for
reading and posting articles by end user client applications...

done to reduce, or really, eliminate the costs of (primarily) Long Distance
Phone calls -- not to mention "modem", er, "transmission" speed... :D

geoff

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 9:41 AM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <