[ih] Keep the geeks in charge of the internet

Joseph Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Mon Jul 13 09:59:41 PDT 2020

Hi, all,

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 9:50 AM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> *By enabling people and businesses to remain connected while under
> lockdown, the Internet has helped to prevent the global economy from
> collapsing entirely. ...*

<list admin hat off>

I find this sort of claim naive at best.

Business was conducted remotely before there was an Internet or any form of electronic comms (phones). It just happened on paper and at a different pace, e.g,, using snail mail for more than just junk and advertisements, couriers and messenger services (vs. FedEx and UPS), and newspapers (vs streaming, TV, or even radio).

In fact, the use of more local industries arguably could have helped reduce the current pace of the spread vs. driving and flying places we don’t need to be or assembling hundreds of people to work in a single plant.

Yes, our understanding of disease transmission is new (at least where we let science be the guide), but we do not live in a unique period in our ability to adapt.

Joe