[ih] Who Paid for the Internet? (was Re: sad news: Peter Kirstein)

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 13:11:18 PST 2020

On 17/01/2020 20:50, Dan Lynch via Internet-history wrote:
> And what ever happened to ANS and PSI?  I’m pretty sure PSI went
> bankrupt after naming the Baltimore Ravens Stadium long ago. But ANS
> CO+RE seems to have been sold to AOL long ago. Ah, capitalism...

PSINet went bust shortly after I quit my job with them in 2002. I don't
think there is a causal relationship there :-)

They were already in Chapter 11 when I left, and had been struggling for
a long time. IIRC, the main reason for the failure was a series of
unwise acquisitions, but some bad sales-related decisions were a part of
it. PSINet Europe was the hosting provider fo Boo.com; when Boo went
bust they left their creditors high and dry and that blew a big hole in
our income too.

I am, still, annoyed with myself for not cashing in my share options
when they were at their peak. I was just about to, when they dipped a
bit, and I thought I'd hang on until they went back up again. But they
never did...

Mark