[ih] X.25 networking (was: Re: sad news: Peter Kirstein)

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Sun Jan 12 00:03:10 PST 2020

Any more specific definition for "protocol conversion ?" other than
"anything thats not just overlay" ?

I am asking, because conceptually, i see little difference between
running IP at a UNI (Host<->Network) and NNI (SP<->), or running
X.25 at UNI and X.75 at NNI. Would you describe an IP SP<->SP connection
with IP as "protocol conversion" ?

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Packet_Switched_Service

Looks to me as if Peter's side in the UK would rather have been a
user (DTE) of IPSS, tunneling IP all the way to the USA across an X.25
connection. In that case, UCL would have just had an X.25 interface to
IPSS. X.75 would have been used likely on the interconnects between the
three operators of IPSS.

Would be interesting to know what was charged for IPSS internationally
back then.

I only did international X.25 from my university in Germany to the
US west coast in the mid 80th for something better predictable in
volume than IP, namely UUCP for email. Even running IP to another university
in Germany set us back up to 7000 EUR/month to Deutsche Telekom (in
todays money) and was of course not funded ("what is IP and why do you need
it").

Cheers
    Toerless