[ih] sad news: Peter Kirstein

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Jan 11 05:18:52 PST 2020

On 1/10/2020 10:32 PM, Vint Cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> Larry Landweber did some X.25 work for CSNET - adding him to this
> distribution in case he isn't on internet-history.

Doug Comer's team was the part of CSNet that did the IP/X.25 driver. As
I recall, yes, it had code that put some effort into minimising
connection opens.

Our telephone-based dial-up email relaying by MMDF also sometimes used a
PSTN/X.29/X.25 path. It did not work to minimize connections, since it
worked at much lower access frequencies.  However it /did/ have to pay
attention to the dial-up link protocol's packet size and the x.25 packet
size, to reduce the total x.25 packet count.\

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking