[ih] how big was the host file

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Feb 6 10:29:27 PST 2020

"TCP, and Port Expanders which allowed more than 4 hosts to connect to an
IMP, came much later - late 70s/early 80s."

correct - likely 1976-7-8 arising from tests with packet radio/arpanet

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 12:58 PM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <

> IIRC, a major change in the ARPANET's limit on number of hosts was the
> conversion from "32-bit leaders" to "96-bit leaders".   Each IMP could
> still have up to 4 hosts, but the large leaders meant there could be
> more IMPs and therefore more hosts on the ARPANET.  IIRC, that occurred
> sometime in the mid-70s.
>
> For the historians, I suspect the best authoritative source of the
> timeline of changes in the ARPANET would be the various BBN QTRs, many
> of which are online at DTIC.
>
> TCP, and Port Expanders which allowed more than 4 hosts to connect to an
> IMP, came much later - late 70s/early 80s.
>
> /Jack Haverty
>
> On 2/6/20 8:40 AM, Lars Brinkhoff via Internet-history wrote:
> > Nigel Roberts wrote:
> >> In 1978 MIT-AI was @O to to 134 and MIT-DM was 70.
> > Those are decimal numbers.  Converted to octal, they make sense as
> > host/imp numbers.  MIT-DMS is 106 and MIT-AI is 206, so they are host 1
> > and 2 on IMP 6.  MIT-MULTICS was host 0, and MIT-ML was host 3.

New postal address:
Google
1875 Explorer Street, 10th Floor
Reston, VA 20190