[ih] how big was the host file

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Feb 6 09:58:09 PST 2020

IIRC, a major change in the ARPANET's limit on number of hosts was the
conversion from "32-bit leaders" to "96-bit leaders".   Each IMP could
still have up to 4 hosts, but the large leaders meant there could be
more IMPs and therefore more hosts on the ARPANET.  IIRC, that occurred
sometime in the mid-70s.

For the historians, I suspect the best authoritative source of the
timeline of changes in the ARPANET would be the various BBN QTRs, many
of which are online at DTIC.

TCP, and Port Expanders which allowed more than 4 hosts to connect to an
IMP, came much later - late 70s/early 80s.

/Jack Haverty