[ih] byte order, was Octal vs Hex, not Re: Dotted decimal notation

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Dec 31 13:18:03 PST 2020

The MIT-DM TTY controller for our KA PDP-10 was a homebrew device, built
by Steve Morton.   Steve really really wanted to design and build a disk
interface.  But we already had a disk interface, and just needed more
TTY lines.  So he was told to make a TTY interface.  He did, but
designed it as if it was to be a disk interface.   I don't recall
exactly how it interfaced to the CPU, but it was fast and efficient.

I added a bit of logic on the RS232 side to boost line speeds up near
100kb/s over RG174 cable spanning between the 2nd (Imlacs) and 9th
(PDP-10) floors of the building.   We ran about 8-10 Imlacs on those TTY
lines, which became a favorite for MazeWars.   It didn't consume very
much of the CPU, but it occupied all of the terminals (Imlacs).

I've wondered if that "TTY Net" was one of the earliest "LAN"
implementation.  We certainly used it like a LAN.  Metcalfe hadn't
gotten around to inventing Ethernet yet, he was still involved with the
IMP interface.

/Jack