[ih] byte order, was Octal vs Hex, not Re: Dotted decimal notation

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Dec 30 20:00:30 PST 2020

Hi Geoff,

I was in MIT-DM when Mazewars happened, and I did some surgery on our
PDP-10 TTY hardware to boost the RS232 speed up near 100 kb/s so we
could make the game reasonable with Imlacs interacting with MIT-DM over
RS232.   It became quite popular.

But I don't recall any cross-country Mazewars at all over the ARPANET.
At one point, I did contact BBN to ask if TIP lines could be run at
higher speeds (like at least 56 kb/s), so we could plug Imlacs in to
TIPs.   The answer was "The TIP supports speeds up to the reasonable
maximum of 9.6 kbps."   I suppose someone could have tried running
across the ARPANET somehow through a Telnet connection, but I don't
remember anyone doing that.

FYI, the 1970s-era ITS and Imlac Maze have both been resurrected by a
group called "ITS Hackers".   I don't know how far they've gotten but it
may someday be possible to run Maze over the Internet.

See https://github.com/PDP-10/its/issues/1330

/Jack Haverty