[ih] byte order, was Octal vs Hex, not Re: Dotted decimal notation

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Wed Dec 30 18:50:43 PST 2020

in a trip down memory lane vis-a-vis "The Imlac PDS-1" at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imlac_PDS-1
yours truly chances to note at the bottom under Applications

"... *Mazewar <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_War>*, the first online
multiplayer computer game, was created on a pair of PDS-1's. Later, up to 8
players ran on PDS-1 stations or other terminals networked to the MIT
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Institute_of_Technology> host
PDP-10 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-10> computer running the Mazewar
AI <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_artificial_intelligence> program.[11]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imlac_PDS-1#cite_note-11> Mazewar games
between MIT and Stanford were a major data load on the early Arpanet
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET>."

the MIT PDP-10 reference must be of Al Vezza's MIT-DM host, but yours truly
is kinda perplexed over the last sentence of:

"Mazewar games between MIT and Stanford were a major data load on the
early Arpanet."

wondering just what host at Stanford this must have been -- if not SU-AI --
which yours truly recalls had a couple of Imlac's -- one of which was at
JMC's (John McCarthy's) house and other at RWW's (Richard Weyhrauch's)
house -- both of which were connected with 1200 baud leased lines... hardly
big enough to "contribute" to "a major data load on the early Arpanet." --
most especially given that JMC &/ RWW didn't seem to be the mazewar playing
kinda folks...

anyone got more "history" here on this...¿¿¿

geoff

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 2:22 PM Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <