[ih] Protocol numbers (was IP version 7)

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Sat Dec 26 11:15:11 PST 2020

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 10:45 AM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <

> So, ..... our intrepid engineer was accommodate in a jet of some kind,
> and catapulted off the deck to fly (fast) back to Diego Garcia.   After
> that, the trip back to the US, in a similar fashion, was old hat.
>
> The only question then was "Do I get Hazardous Duty pay....?"

Similar story from the SIMNET project (SIMNET successfully created a
networked simulation for training environment for DARPA, which the Army
swiftly adopted - lots of fun networking challenges, but not the point of
this story).

As part of the SIMNET effort, BBN hired a recently retired military officer
to advise on issues of making the simulations realistic.  For some reason,
the Army asked him to participate in a training exercise, I think at Fort
Knox (where lots of tank training was done -- SIMNET's first contribution
was to simulate groups of tanks).  After the exercise, he submitted his
required timesheet that showed him working 24-hours a day for three days
straight.  BBN's accounting group flagged it and told him he could not
possibly have worked those hours.  He invited him to consider that he'd
been in a tactical environment, typically in a foxhole surrounded by
explosions and gunfire and asked when they thought his breaks were?  The
timesheet was approved.

Craig

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and
mailing lists.