[ih] Protocol numbers (was IP version 7)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Dec 24 12:46:42 PST 2020

Here's what I remember... it's been a long time!

The SATNET and MATNET projects were active at the same time, in the
early 80s.  For a year or two they were two if the Internet projects
under my responsibility at BBN.

At that point, SATNET was considered operational, part of the 24x7
operational "core gateways" part of the Internet, both managed 24x7 by
the NOC at BBN.   That occurred after the gateway project (Ginny
Strazisar et al) was transferred to my group at BBN (Bob Hinden et al)
with the task to "make the Internet 24x7 operational and reliable as a
service", following in the footsteps of the ARPANET.

Concurrently, MATNET was a research prototype, deployed on the Carl
Vinson (not sure if any other ships), to evaluate the ability to use
satellite-based TCP/IP technology on ships at sea.  So it was functional
only during testing, demonstrations, etc.

MATNET was essentially following the same path as Packet Radio.  Instead
of network nodes and computers in jeeps, helicopters et al in PRNets,
MATNET nodes were onboard ships.  Both were still in the "research"
stage, while the (core) Gateways and SATNET were considered
"operational" at the time.

ARPA had a grand plan to use Internet technology to solve DoD
communications needs for the future, integrating scattered pieces of the
military into a cohesive C3I system (Communications, Command, Control,
Intelligence).

Vint - I remember your presentation of a target military scenario which
we then used as a target for developing Internet technology.  It
involved soldiers in jeeps, planes, et al, communicating with sailors in
ships, and all parts of DoD in fixed locations, e.g., the Pentagon,
Intelligence organizations, etc.   That's what drove our thinking and
decisions.

The ARPANET was a core part of that picture, evolving into the DDN.
SATNET had birthed MATNET to hopefully handle Navy communications.
PRNet targeted the Army and maybe Air Force?   All of that was a driver
for research efforts.

The ARPANET->DDN, PRNET->Army and SATNET->MATNET(Navy) transitions were
illustrative of the "pipeline" that had been created to bring research
results into operational use, i.e., to create the (military-driven)
Internet.

In July 1983, BBN re-organized, and collected the "researchy" projects
into one part of the organization, and the "operational" into another.
I ended up in the "operational" side, being more interested in bringing
the technology into wide usage than in creating more new technology.
So I lost track of the researchy projects and the "pipeline".   I'm
curious how that pipeline progressed through the later 80s/90s, e.g.,
which of the research efforts can be traced forward to use in today's
operational systems.   But I've not run across much written about that
aspect of Internet History.

/Jack Haverty