[ih] The Sub-atomic Physics of The Internet

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Sat Aug 29 09:11:40 PDT 2020

>> On Aug 29, 2020, at 12:42 AM, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>  If there's one problem with representation of the social media worlds as planets, it's that most people "live" on more than one planet, starting with significant Influencers who need to grow their audience.

It’s not my graphic; I agree it’s flawed as an analogy.

> So whilst there are plenty of parallel worlds, users travel already. I am quite pleased with the notion of parallel worlds, it's called "choice".

They don’t really travel so much as are multihomed and sometimes act as translator gateways between worlds. Again, not a great analogy but - as Jack pointed out - it’s where the analogy breaks down that informs the similarity between what the Internet has social network systems have evolved into and what the Internet was intended to avoid.

> Why would we want a single social gateway that would in effect become a monopoly that has the potential to lock any new social media provider out?

That’s like saying that IP is a monopoly that could prevent someone from joining the Internet. The Internet avoided the monopoly by both being a common lingua franca and being open/free (as a standard).

By integrating experiences inside each of these systems, social networks - somewhat like custom vendor extensions to standard protocols, and even burying DNS inside HTTP - end up creating the very ‘world’ the Internet was trying to avoid...

Joe