[ih] Johnny Eriksson

Barbara Denny b_a_denny at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 17:38:12 PDT 2020

 Don Provan asked me to clarify that he wrote the TCP/IP implementation for TOPS-10 used by Johnny Eriksson. Johnny Eriksson  took that code and made it work on KICKI.  FYI, Don wrote the TCP/IP code for the TCP/IP cutover when he worked as a DEC contractor at Wright Paterson Air Force Base for AFWAL (Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratory).
barbara

    On Friday, August 28, 2020, 8:53:38 AM PDT, Lars Brinkhoff via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

 Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> writes:
>> Another Scandinavian Internet pioneer also died earlier this year:
>> Johnny Eriksson. He helped build the Swedish TCP/IP networks in the
>> 1980s and 1990s.
>
> please tell us more about Johnny.

Johnny Eriksson worked at QZ in Stockholm, which provided centralized
computing services in the 70s and 80s.  He was also active in the
student organization Stacken, which was a hotbed of PDP-10 machines and
all sorts of ad-hoc networking.  Johnny was recuited to KTHNOC, the
network operating center at Royal Institute of Technology, and the hub
for SUNET, the Swedish University Network.  Later he went to SWIPNET,
the first commercial IP network in Sweden.

Johnny added TCP/IP to TOPS-10 for Stacken's dual KI10, called KICKI.

Sources: the article "De byggde Internet i Sverige" (They build Internet
in Sweden), and messages from Peter Löthberg.