[ih] Yngvar Lunch has died -- the memorial service is tomorrow

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Aug 26 05:02:38 PDT 2020

Thanks for sharing this, Dave.

Yngvar and Paal Spilling were key players in the Arpanet and Internet
efforts in Norway. Bob Kahn and Yngvar worked together to get the satellite
link for the Norwegian Seismic Array (NORSAR) system shared with Arpanet
and doubled in capacity to 9.6 kb/s. A further link was made to get to
University College London where Peter Kirstein's lab was located. There was
a huge flap about connecting military use circuits to the commercial
British system - Bob Kahn knows that story better than I because he was the
primary DARPA POC for the negotiation. Yngvar was my choice to demonstrate
the experimental packet voice system to some generals in the Pentagon.
Duane Adams had developed the Linear Predictive Code with 10 parameters
(LPC-10) as a way to reduce capacity required for packet speech from 64
kb/s to 1800 b/s. But you sounded like a drunken Norwegian. So of course, I
got Yngvar to demonstrate the system, first through the AUTOVON switched
voice network used by the US military at the time and then through the
packet voice system - sounded the same :-))).  Yngvar was our go-to person
for the early connectivity of Arpanet to Europe. He and especially Paal
Spilling worked on TCP and Paal came to the US (SRI) for a time in the late
1970s.

Bob Kahn told me a story about picking raspberries and maybe blackberries
in Yngvar's back yard. Bob's comment was that these fruits were infinitely
miscible in people [look it up.. :-) ]

I will miss Yngvar's cheerful, willing and able attitude. The memory of his
formative contributions to the Arpanet and Internet stories temper his loss
to the world.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 7:43 AM dave walden via Internet-history <