[ih] Yngvar Lunch has died -- the memorial service is tomorrow

dave walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 04:43:33 PDT 2020

Internet pioneer Yngvar Lundh has died.

With Paal Spilling, Yngvar led Norway into the Internet world. The
following paper which Yngvar gave me in early 2019 is his and Paal's
story of their contribution.
https://walden-family.com/spilling-lundh-InternetHistory-final-2-VC%20edits.pdf
I will leave this on my website for a while.  I don't know where it was
published.

Following is the death announcement from his local newspaper.

What I can make out from the announcement follows:

=================================
image of boat -- Yngvar had a sailboat

good kind Yngvar, husband, father, grandfather and uncle
something about being in own home at death

his name and day he died

in a little while it will be so quiet here
in a little while it will be over
you got to see what you wanted
you got to hear your melody

in a little while
we will be gone
we may see each other again

Bente (wife)
Lise (daughter I assume)
I guess the others are the nephew and grandson

where and when the funeral service will be -- Valle church

something about flowers for the church's mission??

see the memorial page on the (funeral home) website -- I could not find
a memorial page for Yngvar

=================

You can use google translate to read the following:

https://snl.no/Yngvar_Lundh

A piece by him published in the IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
in 2018
https://www.computer.org/csdl/magazine/an/2018/02/man2018020062/13rRUytWFbd
begins with this introduction by the Annals department editor:

Yngvar Lundh was instrumental in the development of some of Norway’s
earliest digital computers, having started his investigation of digital
electronics in the 1950s. He continued his involvement with digital
computers and digital communications for the next 40 years. A 10 April
2017 article about Lundh in the Norwegian online information and
telecommunications newspaper digi.no quotes another pioneer of Norwegian
computing, saying, “Yngvar Lundh is the most important person in
Norwegian IT ever.”

Yngvar was a wonderful man and greatly respected in Norway as the father
or Norwegian digital computing.  I first met Yngvar when I worked for
Norsk Data in 1970-71. He was with the Norwegian Defense Research
Establishment.  I met him again in Oslo, London, etc., during the early
Internet days.  Over the years I saw him a few more times, including in
2017 when he invited my wife and me to visit him in his home overlooking
the Oslo Fjord in Tornsberg where we talked about sail boats. I
corresponded with him by email a few times a year.  I learned the news
of Yngvar's death when I sent an email to him a few days ago about
early-days computing at MIT and he didn't respond.  I asked friends in
Norway if they knew if he was having health problems and the shocking
news above came back.  I will miss him.