[ih] question re. Lotus Notes (not quite Internet history)

John Lowry jhlowry at mac.com
Sun Aug 9 03:48:32 PDT 2020

Notes was extremely popular with parts of the government.  BBN had a license to an X.400 implementation as well as our own PKI expertise that also worked with type-1 algorithms.  We were hired to integrate X.400 with crypto into Notes, so that for a while I had source to Notes on my machine.  My primary point of contact was with Bill Flanagan who had left BBN to work with Iris.  I never found out how many X.400 versions sold but heard that Notes was using SMTP shortly after.  One of the issues for that customer (besides confidentiality) was traceability.  PKI helped to solve that problem for them.