[ih] Today???s Internet Still Relies on an ARPANET-Era Protocol: The Request for Comments (Steve Crocker)

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sat Aug 8 09:52:09 PDT 2020

On 2020-08-08, at 18:00, Dave Crocker via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> The generated html is remarkably less tailored to this form that might wish.  While yes, it's better than typewriter ascii, the design of the format, fonts, colors, etc. could be quite a bit better.

Simply setting the font family to a Serif already helps a lot.  (E.g., Microsoft’s “Book Antiqua”, or the original “Palatino”, work for me, but that is in part a taste decision.)

Unfortunately, this cannot repair the missing typographical information (dashes, quotes, …), which was replaced by ASCII surrogates (*) before making it into the XML.  This can be a bit jarring in a technical document.

Grüße, Carsten

(*) Note the mixture of single hyphens and double hyphens used for dashes in this RFC.  Fortunately, you cannot hear my screaming.