[ih] Today’s Internet Still Relies on an ARPANET-Era Protocol: The Request for Comments (Steve Crocker)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Aug 7 15:40:17 PDT 2020

On 8/7/2020 3:12 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> While the RFC has been enduring, I've always wondered -- where are all
> the Comments in response to those thousands of RFCs that Requested them?
>
> Is there some "form" site somewhere where each RFC appears when
> published and has a "Comments" section to collect and preserve the
> Comments.   That kind of thing is pervasive today on all sorts of news
> sites, blogs, etc.   But IMHO the RFCs have somehow always been ignoring
> the Cs they Request.

emails, internet-drafts, web pages, meeting presentations and
recordings, etc.

There is excellent archiving of the RFCs, but there has been no interest
historical retention of of the surrounding mass of supporting work
product. It seems that folk think the usual 'backups' are sufficient...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking