[ih] Today???s Internet Still Relies on an ARPANET-Era Protocol: The Request for Comments (Steve Crocker)

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Sat Aug 8 00:23:56 PDT 2020

On Sat, Aug 08, 2020 at 12:00:52AM -0700, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> I just looked at a few recent RFCs, and they look amazingly like they
> did 50 years ago.  Like they came out of a typewriter.  I know there's
> been some evolution to move beyond pure ascii text, but still they look
> very much as they did in the 70s.  Very traditional and nostalgic, but
> fifty years has provided a lot of time for new approaches to mature.

Indeed. And the tooling RFC-editor now has for better graphics is IMHO
still challenging when you try to create better graphics for e.g.: network
diagrams or the like. And for some things such as showing protocol
headers, ASCII graphics is IMHO ideal for human consumption. Not so much
for formal verification though.

> There are many implementations now of collaboration, but one I find
> interesting is github.  It is used traditionally for coding projects,
> but it does a pretty nice job of handling documentation too, including
> discussions, revisions, etc.

Except that we now (IMHO) struggle with a rift in the community: Those
who breathe github and expect that all process of work has to be looked
up on github and those like me who think that rfcdiff is just lightyears
ahead of a diff i can get on github and would therefore rather prefer
to have all versions in datatracker. Then again issue tracking is nice
in github - as you also mention below.

> One example of this is in the "PDP-10/ITS" area on github --
> https://github.com/PDP-10/its/issues -- which contains "issues" (an
> "issue" is somewhat analogous to an RFC), coupled with an ongoing
> repository of the ensuing discussions about that issue.   People can
> engage in discussions directly on github, or interface through email.
> Text, images, video, etc.  Oh, lots of code is there too.    I can see
> RFCs simply being "issues" in github, which would capture and make
> available an evolving archive of the ensuing comments and discussions.

Yes. And now we've got scatter/gather storage of discussions...

> This is only one example of what might be called modern collaboration
> practice on the Internet.  All the IETF would have to do is publish each
> new (and even old) RFC as an "issue" in a github area, and publicize how
> to submit your comments.
>
> But I know, it's hard to change tradition....   Just an idea.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-git-using-github-06

Cheers
    Toerless