[ih] Who owns old RFCs ?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:02:37 PDT 2020

On 25-Apr-20 07:14, John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> In article <CAA=duU0eVz-XFKk2BT66=Fte7rs+LD2oqeypVrHGFjYJ_YZSmA at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>> Some other SDOs and industry fora create consensus conformance test plans
>> and then work out a deal with one or more test labs to run the tests for a
>> fee. The vendors pay for the testing, and if they don't pass, the test labs
>> work with them so that they can bring the product into compliance. Once
>> they pass, they get a report and certificate showing compliance, and in
>> some cases a joint press release with the sponsoring SDO/forum.
>
> I was going to suggest much the same thing, certification as a carrot,
> since we don't have any sticks.

This has been going on for IPv6 for many years - the "IPv6 Ready" logo
(https://www.ipv6ready.org/) and the first-class interop lab at UNH
(https://www.iol.unh.edu/testing/ip/ipv6) among others.

Whether this is a successful proof of concept is a matter of judgment.

Also, some would say that Scott Bradner pioneered this approach back
in the 20th century.

   Brian