[ih] origins of the term "hyperlink"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 13:59:13 PDT 2020

fwiw, Tim Berners-Lee's original WWW proposal in 1989 used "hypertext" and used the word "link" extensively, but did not use "hyperlink". Tim knew the literature; you can see his references at the end of his original proposal.
The 1990 version:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/369245/files/dd-89-001.pdf

The original 1989 version with scribbled comments by Mike Sendall:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/1405411/files/ARCH-WWW-4-010.pdf

So assuming the term was indeed coined in 1988, it wasn't widely known by 1989.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter