[ih] origins of the term "hyperlink"

Darius Kazemi darius.kazemi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 11:20:04 PDT 2020

I got curious and started with a google books ngram search, then started
combing through individual records provided with their context. I made sure
to filter for noise -- there are a lot of books indexed that are 1990+
editions of earlier books that contain the term "hyperlink" in the
additional notes.

This DTIC report on on a hypertext project from 1987 does NOT use the term
"hyperlink", only "link":
https://archive.org/details/DTIC_ADA188179/page/n3/mode/2up/search/%22knowledge+garden%22?q=%22knowledge+garden%22

The earliest *published* mentions I can find are from 1988.

"PC AI" trade publication mentions hyperlinks and linked documents.
https://books.google.com/books?id=dKYdAQAAIAAJ&q=%22hyperlink%22&dq=%22hyperlink%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib6Omgt-PoAhXUFjQIHSPKDucQ6AEwAnoECAIQAg

PC Magazine in December 1988 mentions a linked document product suite
called PC-Hypertext from a company called MaxThink, which had an entire
program called HyperLink:
https://archive.org/details/PC-Mag-1988-12-13/page/n151/mode/2up/search/maxthink

THE FINAL LINK HyperLink is not so
> much a single product as it is a combina-
> tion of related utilities. This $89 module
> has programs that let you move MaxThink
> and Houdini networks into hypertext net-
> works. Since the PC-Hypertext system is
> designed to connect separate files, Hyper-
> Link has a utility that automatically divides
> a large text file into many smaller ones.
> Another program creates cross-reference
> lists for each file and then combines them
> into one long list.
>
> HyperLink also includes an ENCODE
> program, which compiles text files into a
> hypertext system that can be used with PC-
> Hypertext. All jumps ate established by
> placing a filename between the left and
> right angle brackets. The files used by EN-
> CODE can be created with any editor ca-
> pable of writing ASCII files. HyperLink
> even includes a utility designed to make a
> mini-expert system out of a hypertext net-
> work.

Possible asides and dead ends:

There is a concept in graph theory called a "hypergraph" and I found a 1977
paper that uses the term "hyperlink" in a discussion of a data structure
for a database system built around the hypergraph. I'm unsure if there is a
direct connection with the hypertext terminology but since it's a computer
science paper I thought I'd include it.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-48908-2_3

HyperLink magazine was a publication dedicated to HyperCard development,
which is far as I can tell began publication in 1987 around the same time
as HyperCard was released. Whether this was an intentional play on an
already-established concept of a hyperlink or if it merely was for "linking
up" HyperCard developers, I can't say.

I'm also finding some commercial product naming, like "hyperlink" referring
to a special kind of networking interface here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Cc4EAQAAIAAJ&q=%22hyperlink%22&dq=%22hyperlink%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib6Omgt-PoAhXUFjQIHSPKDucQ6AEwBnoECAcQAg

My conclusion:

It seems that in 1987-1988, "hyper" was a popular prefix to attach to
anything to make it seem more "techie", like "cyber-" was for some years in
the 1990s. There was a general flowering of things called hyper-[noun] in
those two years. This of course matches up roughly with the invention of
the WWW in 1989. The idea that "hyperlink" was coined by Ben Shneidermanin
1988 seems wholly plausible to me! At least I can find nothing to
contradict the claim. My guess is that multiple people independently coined
"hyperlink" in 1988, including whoever was working at MaxThink on their
HyperLink product in 1988.

-Darius

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 9:54 AM Steve Crocker via Internet-history <