[ih] This has been asked before but - when & how did the us government define the Internet

Joseph Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Sat Apr 4 09:05:26 PDT 2020

> On Apr 4, 2020, at 8:24 AM, John Levine via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> In article <a4d0ed43-3a33-f977-e783-75e8186ae795 at gmail.com> you write:
>> It's definitely multi-dimemsional. See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4084
>
> I don't find rehashing NAT fights to be very interesting.
>
> I have an old laptop on my desk that sometimes runs the bitcoin
> program (tracking the blockchain, not mining.)  On IPv4 it's behind a
> NAT but the router does port forwarding so it can accept incoming
> connections.  On IPv6 it has a routable global address.
>
> Is it "on the Internet?"  I cannot tell you how little I care about
> the answer to that question.

You will when you try to run that program (a server) on two or more machines over IPv4. Or if you ever try to run that server as persistently advertised in the DNS (e.g., running a web server from home).

A single computer isn’t a good test of whether a NAT interferes with what you want to do.

So you are “on the Internet” like “I can fly”. I jump up in the air and fly for about 0.5 seconds, but that’s only flying to someone who’s never been on a plane.

Joe