[ih] This has been asked before but - when & how did the us government define the Internet

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Apr 4 08:24:23 PDT 2020

In article <a4d0ed43-3a33-f977-e783-75e8186ae795 at gmail.com> you write:
>It's definitely multi-dimemsional. See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4084

I don't find rehashing NAT fights to be very interesting.

I have an old laptop on my desk that sometimes runs the bitcoin
program (tracking the blockchain, not mining.)  On IPv4 it's behind a
NAT but the router does port forwarding so it can accept incoming
connections.  On IPv6 it has a routable global address.

Is it "on the Internet?"  I cannot tell you how little I care about
the answer to that question.

R's,
John