[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Lori Emerson lori.emerson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 12:18:48 PDT 2019

Hi all, I've enjoyed having the chance to be a lurker on this list for
awhile and I've learned a lot. I also appreciate that you all might have
different views on Ingrid Burrington's think piece, but I can't imagine
that veering into ad hominem attacks on the worth of her degree is
considered part of productive discussion on this list.

best, Lori

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 1:15 PM Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> "But when the publicly funded open protocols and infrastructure built by
> ARPANET entered the Californian crucible of nascent ex-hippie
> neoliberalism, the windows of possibility narrow."
>
> Um, meaningless drivel from someone with a liberal arts degree?
>
> Neoliberalism didn't *actually* arise from hippiedom; it arose from rich
> people endorsing a particular stream of thought in academic economics. You
> might as well say that the Postel principle arose from hippiedom, since Jon
> had long hair. It would make as much sense IMNSHO.
>
> Regards
>    Brian Carpenter

Lori Emerson
Associate Professor | Director, Media Archaeology Lab
Department of English and Intermedia Arts, Writing, and Performance
University of Colorado at Boulder
Hellems 101, 226 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309-0226
traditional territories of the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute Nations
loriemerson.net | mediaarchaeologylab.com