[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Nov 1 13:56:55 PDT 2019

This suffers from ’the effect of TS Eliot on Shakespere’ phenomena.  It presumes the “open protocols and infrastructure built by the ARPANET” precluded the effect of ex-hippie whatever. It assumes the ARPANET as the author knows it now was in existence at the beginning.  And has Brian points out, that there were a lot of people involved in that early development that would have been classed as ‘hippies’.

I always tell the story of 4 of us leaving Champaign to fly out to Philly on our ARPA project. As we got off the plane in Chicago, the flight attendant said with a breath of excitement, “Are you guys in a band?” I replied (trying not to disappoint her too much, “No, we are crypto-fascist-lackeys of military-industrial complex.” As we had been referred to by demonstrators.  We were probably further left than they were.