[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 14:33:12 PDT 2019

I think an underlying point is that the actual form that the Internet took is really beside the point. Once the technology of the global village was put in place, we got the social and political effects of the global village. Once the neo-liberal economic (and social) doctrine was put in place, it made use of the available global village technology. Other major political trends have done the same of course, e.g. the Arab Spring.

In other words, the technical details that most of us on this list obsess about are largely irrelevant to the use society is now making of the technology. Margaret Thatcher used to say "There is no such thing as Society." I suspect that FaceBook has proved her wrong, and not because it runs over TCP/IP.

Regards
   Brian