[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 2, Issue 16

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 5 15:59:52 PST 2019

On 11/5/2019 2:38 PM, Joly MacFie wrote:
> When was the first actual inter-network message sent using packet
> technology?

Might be interesting to seek some agreement about the biggest milestones
for creating what we experience as the Internet.

First, what are the criteria for a milestone?  Conceptualization?
Demonstration?  A degree of production operation?  Mass market adoption?

Second, what are the easy milestones: packet switching and TCP/IP are
obvious.  What others?  (I'm entirely biases towards wanting major
applications to be added but, well, I'm biased.)

Third, what are some less obvious but still essential milestones?  I'll
suggest NSFNet because it enabled both a standard for multiple
backbonbes and an operational approach to infrastructure that became the
foundation for the commercial Internet.

Thoughts?

d/

--