[ih] inter-network communication history

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Nov 6 13:59:58 PST 2019

On 11/6/2019 1:48 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> So the definition of "Internet" would be in terms of computers talking
> to other computers, and being able to talk to all other computers, once
> the appropriate interconnections (gateways/routers) and software were
> put in place

I think this is quite a good, concise and comprehensive statement of the
underlying technical work that created both the current, packet-level
capability and the term.

My earlier point was that there is also a user-level use of the term
that pertains to application level interoperability.  It re-purposes the
term Internet to refer to that level (and that history).

And there's a lot more of folk using the latter perspective than the
former...

d/

--
Dave Crocker