[ih] inter-network communication history

Jack Haverty via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Thu Nov 7 14:27:00 PST 2019

Yes, the NCC was the name for the ARPANET network control center.  The
NOC was the room - the Operations Center - from which a variety of
networks were managed, including ARPANET, SATNET, DDN pieces (MILNET et
al) as well as commercial networks.  It moved also as we had more and
more networks to operate.  So the NCC was physically in the NOC.

By the time we started doing gateway operations, the venerable PDP-1
that controlled the ARPANET circa 1970s had retired and PDP-10s had
replaced it.  I suspect the timeline is documented in the various
contract reports from that period, if they're still available through DTIC.

/Jack