[ih] inter-network communication history

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Fri Nov 8 08:44:41 PST 2019

Hi John:

Thanks for the nice words about HEMS!

It is hard to make the assessment of which would have been more simpler and
smaller now, some 30 years later, but since this list is about rethinking
and understanding the past I'll take a swing at it.

Both HEMS and SNMP had similar MIB structures -- a named tree with data
formatted in ASN.1.  Both would have required similar amounts of software
to locate, manage, and configure MIB variables.  Not surprising as SNMP was
designed to be a stripped down HEMS.  So the issue is how much the features
that SNMP stripped out of HEMS came back to bite the SNMP implementers.
Clearly proxies, which HEMS handled seamlessly, required more code in
SNMP.  Also HEMS handled private MIBs seamlessly (you just added your
private variables to the MIB -- HEMS leveraged ASN.1 to make those
variables self-describing), while incorporating private MIB definitions is
a continuing pain for SNMP management stations.  But HEMS had a (simple)
language interpreter that SNMP did not and a much richer system for traps.
In the balance, I'd guess management station code for SNMP would be bigger
and more complex and that SNMP on the managed device would be about equal
except for the simplest of devices (where SNMP would win).  Your mileage
may vary.

Thanks!

Craig

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:00 AM John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net> wrote:

> And from what I understand, the HEMS implementation turned out to be
> simpler and smaller than the SNMP implementation.
>
> > On Nov 8, 2019, at 09:56, Craig Partridge via Internet-history <
> internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jack:
> >
> > You're crossing network management streams.
> >
> > SNMP had nothing to do with NMP except, perhaps, some influences on Marty
> > Schoffstall.  You are probably thinking of HMP (Host Management
> Protocol).
> >
> > Around 1983, network management work at BBN started going down two paths.
> > One was the stuff that Hinden's team was doing for the NOC.  The other
> was
> > Jil Wescott's distributed network management system (I think called
> NOMS?)
> > with Charlie Lynn and I think Ross Callon and Karen Seo and, briefly me,
> > working on it.  Then DCA funded a large project (name I've forgotten)
> > trying to build a better suite of tools (but not protocols as I recall)
> for
> > the MILNET NOC. That work never made it out of BBN.
> >
> > In 1987, NSF realized the cupboard for multi-vendor network management
> > protocols was bare.  Steve Wolff asked me to come up with a solution,
> which
> > become HEMS and was based on my experience with NOMS and discussions at
> > IETF and some great ideas from Glenn Trewitt (who had been dealing with
> > Stanford's substantial internet).  Jeff Case and Marty Schoffstall (and
> > others) felt HEMS was too complex to deploy ASAP (and ASAP was the need
> --
> > NSFNET was growing like topsy) and devised SGMP (Simple Gateway
> Management
> > Protocol) which the IETF then evolved into SNMP.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Craig
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:33 PM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <
> > internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> >> Hmmm.   Well, what I remember is:
> >>
> >> SNMP was instantiated as a first step toward a comprehensive NMP
> >> (Network Management Protocol).   As I recall, NMP was more of a concept
> >> than a protocol.  It was an umbrella covering a lot of pieces.
> >>
> >> As we were struggling to make the Internet 24x7, we did a lot of
> >> cogitating about what it meant to manage a network, which went well
> >> beyond basic real-time monitoring and control.   In addition to the
> >> Internet "core gateways", at BBN we were managing and/or operating a
> >> variety of networks, so we had a fairly broad view of the issues that
> >> crop as you operate and evolve networks over 5 or 10 years.
> >>
> >> One dimension of that exploration was into life-cycle management.  That
> >> involved things like how to measure traffic statistics and patterns,
> >> identify and predict trends, plan for topology alterations to handle
> >> future traffic, plan for changes needed to add new users or
> >> applications, etc.
> >>
> >> It also included operational disturbances.  How do you deploy a new
> [...]

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and