[ih] inter-network communication history

John Day via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Fri Nov 8 13:01:59 PST 2019

Things went off the rails with SNMP because they didn’t understand the importance of commonality across MIBs until it was too late.  In the mid-80s we were able to create considerable commonality across technologies for a product we did at Motorola and it provided considerable leverage and was much more powerful. It was able to do things that are still not possible.

Maximizing commonality across devices is what makes network management easy.  At the same time, one has to be careful to let what has to be different be different.  But the big advantage with network management is that the communication must have a fair amount of commonality or it won’t work.

Once that horse was out of that barn, the game was over.  It was all complexity after that.  While YANG and NETCONF may have taken over, the horse has never been put back.  And to my mind there hasn’t been any real progress in network management in decades.

Take care,
John