[ih] inter-network communication history

Miles Fidelman via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Fri Nov 8 14:51:45 PST 2019

On 11/7/19 5:11 PM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via
Internet-history wrote:

> thanks jack... a couple of quips:
>
> #1.) yours truly believes that the ARPANET, et all was managed by the folks
> an "entity" known -- during that time -- as the NCC (Network Control
> Center), not the NOC.
>
> #2.) yours truly also seems to recall that the ARPANET was software-ly
> controlled by a PDP-1 not a PDP-10, viz. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc301:

I seem to recall that the ARPANET was controlled by a C/70, certainly
the DDN was controlled by several C/70s distributed between CONUS,
Europe, and Hawaii (I had the dubious distinction of designing the DDN
Network Management Architecture, as my first task at BBN, working for
Jim Herman.  It turned out to be a lot more about operating procedures,
than technology - e.g, figuring out how to get AT&T Long Lines to
respond to a "noisy line" call from a central NOC, rather than the
communications officer who "owned" that specific circuit, though we did
have to figure out how to report bit error rate, rather than just packet
error rate - the folks at AT&T didn't have a clue what packet error rate
meant.)

Now, it could be that ARPANET monitoring & control predated the C/70 -
given that the C machines didn't exist in the early days.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown