[ih] inter-network communication history

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 17:33:35 PST 2019

> I couldn't find any such tools in ~1991 other than the ones that had
> been around since the early 80s.   Still can't in ~2020.

The answer to that mystery is, I believe, that this stuff is aimed at large operatorss willing to buy expensive proprietary tools or write their own tools.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/storage-networking/management/200933-YANG-NETCONF-Configuration-Validation.html

https://www.tail-f.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Tail-f_NCS_NEP_Overview_Brochure.pdf

A lot of the independent network management tools that you can buy don't seem have got past SNMP though, from a quick Google trawl. But from the number of operators involved in defining YANG modules, I'm guessing that they have toolsets up and running (replacing PERL scripts driving proprietary CLIs).

Regards
   Brian