[ih] inter-network communication history

Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Fri Nov 8 22:12:18 PST 2019

> network management in the late 80s

Yes, we were developing homebrew solutions at CERN in those days and into the early 90s. There really wasn't any alternative for a large site. I think it's always been a great tool for customer capture, and still is, judging by what I see in the NETCONF/YANG space. If you are clever, you can build a standards-compliant management system that only works with your own kit.

We began to see commercial offerings that claimed to support multi-vendor networks by 1995 iirc; we bought Cabletron's Spectrum product. There's a slice of history at https://www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/scs/trip/cern-1996.html

Regards
   Brian Carpenter