[ih] Internet Principle of Levelness

Alex McKenzie via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Sat Nov 9 11:25:06 PST 2019

 I think that for the "principle of levelness", as for so much else about the Internet, credit belongs most strongly to Louis Pouzin.  For Louis, the biggest fear of walled gardens was the strength of the European PTTs.  I remember many talks he gave stating that, if they were allowed, they would allocate to themselves the right to all the intelligence in any network, rather than simply the carriage of bits.  Louis worked tirelessly for internet design that allowed multiple players.
Cheers,Alex