[ih] inter-network communication history

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sun Nov 10 13:45:25 PST 2019

This is getting pretty long and we are probably the only ones interested in it.

Configuration Management:
You were lucky. We had customers who had configuration changes between day and night, end of month, holidays vs non-holidays (both for less traffic and much more), in Hong Kong race day was a killer, etc. There are also networks that have to reconfigure quickly when new conditions arise (some predictable, some not).

Database Performance:  All of that did make database performance an issue. But also a 20+ times slower can make even ordinary things far too slow. SNMP’s inherent dribble approach probably covered up the database performance issues. The idea that one couldn’t snapshot a router table before it was updated was a pain.

General: One of the problems we saw was getting it across to operators that they were *managing* the network, not controlling it.  There was a situation in the UK where the number of switch crashes dropped precipitously for 6 weeks and then came back up. No changes had been made. It was very strange until they realized it was the 6 weeks the operators were on strike. They had been trying to control the network and were making it worse.

I contend that network management is basically, Monitor and Repair but not control.

Multi-protocol: Yes this is where leveraging the commonality of structure paid off. We had to support all of those too. Given our approach to it, it was relatively straightforward.

Fault Management:  yes, this is another place where the commonality paid off. Also recognizing that doing diagnosis was basically creating a small management domain for the equipment under test. I was never able to get as far on this problem as I thought we could go. But one could do a lot with common tools to generate test patterns, test dictionaries, etc.

Most of this was on the market by 1986.

John